ARS vs REN: Arsenal have a big night in Europe against a team they must have thought of innocuous and one they could easily defeat. However, their plans were in hot water very quickly after a red card derailed them and the match ended in a shocking 3-1 defeat. Arsenal are still expected to find a way to overturn their defeat at home and they certainly have the quality. However, it won’t be easy by any stretch and the Gunners will need to execute a very well planned match.
Rennes, their rivals, must be over the moon with their unexpected victory in the first leg. The French team was trailing by a goal when Sokratis was shown a red card and the balance of the game shifted towards the hosts. Rennes scored a goal shortly after Sokratis’ dismissal and then exploited the space to finish the match with a 3-1 win. As for Rennes, they cannot afford to be overly confident and they must respect the quality of Arsenal to have a good chance of qualifying.
Arsenal(ARS) vs Rennes Europa(REN) Team News
- Lacazette is available after Arsenal’s appeal against his 3 match ban was accepted.
- Sokratis is suspended for the game after collecting a red card in the first leg.
- Henrikh Mkhitaryan is fit again after a minor problem last week.
- Hector Bellerin, Welbeck and Rob Holding are long term absentees due to injuries.
- Hamari Traore is back available after a suspension in the first leg.
- James Lea Siliki is also available after recovering from his injury.
Arsenal(ARS) vs Rennes Europa(REN) Playing
Arsenal – Cech; Maitland-Niles, Mustafi, Koscielny, Monreal; Xhaka, Torreira; Mkhitaryan, Ozil, Lacazette; Aubameyang
Rennes – Koubek; Traore, Silva, Mexer, Bensebaini; Sarr, Andre, Grenier, Bourigeaud; Ben Arfa, Hunou