Modula Review : Modula is a functional and easy-to-use WordPress gallery plugin created by the developers behind Macho Themes. One of them, Cristian, I’ve personally chatted with on and off via Facebook since 2016. We’ve talked about everything from web performance, image optimization, EDD, and CDNs. As a premium plugin owner myself, it’s always great to make connections with other people in the community. It’s one of the reasons I love working with WordPress every day.
Modula is a freemium plugin that specifically helps you create responsive grid galleries. All you do is specify a maximum width and height and Modula arranges the images inside so that they look great. What do Modula’s galleries look like? Well, while you can always customize things, this is a pretty good example of what a gallery that you create with Modula will end up looking like by default
MODULA GALLERY REVIEW: THE FEATURE LIST
- Unlimited galleries
- Filterable categories for galleries (I’ll show you this in a second)
- Rotation and slide effects
- Built-in social sharing buttons
- Detailed control over margins and other styling effects
- 12 different hover effects
- 6 different types of lightbox galleries
What’s covered in this review
In this review, I had a chance to test the primary plugin and its pro add-ons.
- Modula Image Gallery – Main plugin, which is free on WordPress.org.
- Modula Pro – Add-on that adds extra lightboxes, effects, and more.
- Modula Video – Add-on for creating video galleries.
- Modula Speed Up – Add-on that optimizes images and delivers them from a CDN.
HANDS-ON WITH MODULA GALLERY
Once you install and activate the plugin, you can dive straight into the Modula tab. The process of creating a photo gallery basically works like this:
- You create your gallery using the Modula interface
- You choose photos, category filters, styles, margins, etc.
- Modula grid gallery spits out a shortcode that you can use to insert your gallery anywhere in your site