Rishikesh, a spiritual city in the Indian state of Uttarakhand, is located in close proximity to the city of Haridwar (about 25 km north), and about 43 km from the capital of Uttarakhand – Dehra Dun. Rishikesh is considered to be one of the holiest places in the world of Hindutva.
Now the question that arises is – Why is Rishikesh the first choice for Yoga Teacher Training in India? Why not anywhere else, but here? A few points to find out why have been jotted down below –
- Rishikesh is located at the foot of the mighty Himalayas. The Himalayas are a group of sacred mountains that offer majestic views and tons of spirituality among visitors. A lot of sadhus and sages have made the Himalayas their place of shelter. The Himalayas are also home to great masters of Yoga for many centuries. Breathe and bask in the spiritual air of the mountain range, the home of the Gods.
- A lot of sages and sadhus were said to have meditated in Rishikesh. This adds a spiritual sense to those, who are visiting the city for yoga training. You are not likely to experience this in any other yoga training city across the globe.
- The holy river Ganga flows along the city of Rishikesh. The presence of the Ganga itself is bound to create a spiritual feeling among all the students who have enrolled for the yoga training. This gives them a new zeal and willingness to learn and live a spiritual life. Yoga takes you a step closer to attaining moksha.
- Non-vegetarian food and alcohol have been banned in the city of Rishikesh. While training for yoga, you must ensure all your bad habits and distractions are kept at bay. Non-vegetarian practice is not preferred by most spiritual Hindus, and it is expected to cause a lot of distractions to the consumers. Alcohol is a strict no in all the spiritual places of the Hindus.
- The climate of Rishikesh is pleasant and relaxed throughout the year. Valleys and the mighty Himalayas make the city quite chilly at night. This weather is perfect for yoga training. You are bound to learn a lot of more here in this natural air conditioner than in the ACs of a hall or the scorching heat.
- Rishikesh is known as the Yoga Capital of the World. A dip in the holy Ganga River and doing meditation and yoga on its banks is bound to take you one step closer to attaining moksha – this is what everyone believes.
- There are a lot of yoga schools in Rishikesh that offer both Ayurveda and Yoga training on site. This is a great opportunity for you to expand your skillset. You are most likely not to find this in any other yoga training schools in other cities.
- There are a lot of international individuals who come here to learn Yoga. In case, you are not from the country, you are welcome to come to participate in the yoga training camp that is held in Rishikesh. You will not feel left out due to the presence of people of all faiths and languages. Every day in the evening, an Aarti is performed on the banks of the river Ganga. The Duchess of Cornwall and the Prince of Wales had also attended the Aarti session in Rishikesh.
You need to visit Rishikesh once to figure out how perfect a place it is for 200 hour yoga teacher training. If you want to bestow your knowledge to others, then getting trained by the best yoga teachers of Rishikesh is vital. Rishikesh is very well-connected by road and rail to the major Indian cities of Noida and Delhi. Reaching the site is not at all going to be an issue.
Author’s bio: Devakar Sandhu, yoga expert, an avid blogger, reaches out to his disciples and the public in general for spreading awareness to bring about change using Yoga. He is also Founder of Ekam Yogashala, A Yoga Teacher Training School Based in Rishikesh. EKam Yogashala offers 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training India (Rishikesh, Kerala, Nepal and Dharamsala)